Issue of the Week (Aug 11-17): Hemoragic Bowel Syndrome
Hemoragic Bowel Syndrome
What’s the issue?
- Digestive tract disease often affecting adult dairy cows. The cause is not known; potentially caused by clostridium or aspergillis mold.
- Presenting signs are: off feed, blood in the stool, pale mucous membranes and cold to the touch.
What’s the impact?
- Can affect all stages of lactation, but higher incidence is seen during the first 100 days
- Will see a decrease in milk production
- Treatment is usually unsuccessful leading to a 85% or greater mortality rate
- Prevention is key to avoid the loss of your cows due to Hemoragic Bowel Syndrome
- Provide proper bunker management
- Insure forage is properly packed at harvest
- Do not feed poor forage
- Include binders in the feed
- Use preventative vaccinations
Need more information? Visit our Ask-a-Vet feature at ANIMART.com/dairy_ask_a_vet.
This entry was posted in Animal Health Solutions
, Other Solutions
and tagged animal health
, animal health supplies
. Bookmark the permalink