Mismanagement of Drug Use and Inventory
What’s the issue?
- Not managing your drug use and inventory can cause increase risks for an operation and also increase in spending on unnecessary drugs.
What’s the impact?
- Increases operation’s risk of drug residues in milk and meat
- Overuse of antibiotics can increase antibiotic resistance
- Using unnecessary amounts of a drug increases drug cost
- Track and control your drug inventories to reduce wasteful drug usage
- Keep a set of inventory locked in a cabinet where hired labor must check out new amounts for use
- Make sure protocols are easy to follow and written in hard copy to ensure employees are trained properly
- Work with your veterinarian to fine tune protocols on a quarterly basis