Dry Cow Treatments & Bulk Culture Results
What’s the issue?
- Many producers do not utilize their bulk tank culture results to their fullest potential when selecting a dry cow treatment. Not all dry cow treatments treat the same bacteria, so it is important to understand the current bacteria in your herd.
What’s the impact?
- Money is wasted if you are not using the appropriate dry cow treatment for the current bacteria in your herd.
- Without the appropriate dry cow treatment you could be seeing a higher SCC or increase in mastitis incidences, which decrease your premium.
- Run a bulk tank culture at least once per month.
- Bacteria on your farm can change, so staying current with testing will help you choose the appropriate dry cow treatment.
- Review you bulk tank culture results and double check that your current dry cow treatment covers the bacteria found in your bulk tank.
- Sit down with your veterinarian and have a plan in place for successful treatment.
- Potentially cull cows who have high SCC, have been treated multiple times, or have high risk of infecting other cows.