Breeding Programs & Pregnancy Checks
What’s the issue?
- There are many different options to use for breeding your cows/heifers and also different methods to confirm pregnancy. This issue is how to know which one is best for your operation.
What’s the impact?
- Giving hormone shots can cost a lot of money, is there a more economical way to get cows pregnant?
- Extra labor involved in giving injections, is there a more time efficient way to get cows pregnant?
- Will consumers concerns about hormones in dairy products and/or the environment get to the point where we will need to reduce our use of these products?
- Always work with your ANIMART or Herd veterinarian to review what options are available for a good breeding program. Your veterinarian could help monitor your reproduction program, especially from the standpoint of tracking any changes that the farm makes.
- Check into the possibilities of Heat detection systems, ANIMART offers a system called Track A Cow. These systems can decrease labor and the use of hormones.
- Milk or Blood pregnancy tests could be a viable less expensive option to go with.